(Disclaimer: I’ve never read or watched Harry Potter. But I couldn’t resist the chance to parody a famous line for a title.)
It’s time for Beautiful People, a monthly link-up hosted by The Notebook Sisters and Further Up and Further In. (There is a button for this, but I don’t know how to get it into the post. I’ll figure it out, eventually.) (Update: I figured it out!
Obviously. Thanks, Jessy Jones, for explaining how to!)
So, this link-up is basically a character interview so writers can get to know their characters better. I’m feeling pretty confident about my WIP. I’m not scared of losing it. So…
Yep. You guys get a blurb for Shifting Sands and you get to meet my MC, Claire!
In a world that is plagued by frequent sandstorms, there are people with powers to save everyone from the sands. Claire has just become one of them, a Sand-Wizard. But Claire was born into an inescapable cult that hates the government and despises Sand-Wizards. And the cult leaders have just chosen Claire as their traditional sacrifice. This isn’t an honor, it’s a death sentence– at least in Claire’s mind. She begs for a way out and is offered the choice of assassinating a Sand-Wizard leader instead. She goes undercover to do it. But the man turns out to be someone she can’t bring herself to do in. He’s been nothing but kind to her and has helped her learn to master her sand powers. But if he doesn’t die, she will. And the cult is breathing down her neck as the day for the sacrifice draws closer.
And now for the questions. (Help me out here, Claire. I’ll let you answer these questions in first person, if you want.)
1) What’s their favourite food? (Bonus: favourite flavour of chocolate!) Does ice count? No? Alright, fine. Sherbet. It’s pretty close to ice, at least in temperature, and it gets really hot here in Kathos. And in the Edges. And pretty much anywhere you go in this desert. As for favorite flavor of chocolate, I’ve only had chocolate once in my whole life. It was in a cake. That was good.
2) What do they absolutely hate? The fact that I have not been allowed to see my parents since I was five. I’m sixteen, now. Such is the life of a novice priestess.
3) What do they enjoy learning about? I really enjoy learning about being a Sand-Wizard. They’ve always fascinated me and now, I’m one. The power to control sand is amazing.
4) Who is the most influential person in their life? Believe it or not, my parents. I lived with them for the first five years of my life and during that time, they taught me everything they could. They shaped my beliefs, not the Hingutti leaders.
5) What is their childhood fear? Being Chosen to be Intervention has always scared me. Now I’ve had the horrible luck of actually being Chosen. If you want a normal fear, I’ve never liked the idea of scorpions. Or sand-dragons.
6) What is something they have always secretly dreamed of doing, but thought impossible? A lot of this is turning out to be about my life in the cult, isn’t it? I’ve always dreamed of leaving the Hingutti. Me and my parents. But we can’t. The Hingutti would hunt us down and make us examples. The other impossible thing I’ve dreamed of is one day having a family. But Hingutti priestesses are single. That kind of messes everything up.
7) What is something he is impractically afraid of? Thunder. I guess it’s not so much the thunder that scares me as it is the rain. We don’t get much rain here, but when we do, there is always the danger of a flood. I’ve been told there’s never been a flood in Kathos, so I really have nothing to worry about, but when it thunders, I can’t help thinking of flooding. Maybe I’m actually scared of drowning. Drowning in a desert…
8) Are they a night owl or morning person? Morning person. You have to be a morning person when you’re supposed to get up before dawn and clean the Temple. It’s never actually dirty, oddly enough. Probably because we clean it every morning.
9) Do they say everything that pops into their head, or leave a lot unsaid? Ha! Ahem. Sorry. If I said everything that pops into my head, I would be dead. Literally. Though, maybe I am a bit outspoken… You know, I’m not sure. Robyn?
10) What are their nervous habits? I don’t think I have a nervous habit. I’m nervous a lot so who could actually tell if I had one? (Robyn here. Claire blushes at the mention of a certain someone she’s supposed to assassinate. She also starts playing with her hair when she gets really nervous. Just starts twirling it…) I do? (Yes, you do. All of it.)
And that’s Claire! Thank you, Claire, for agreeing to answer these questions. You’ve been most helpful.
I agreed to this?
Yes, you did.
Robyn, does everything work out in the end of my story?
Define “work out”…